This is where visitors new to this site should start. These guides provide an overview of what you need to know before you start making changes in your school district.
Fixing school food is a team sport — don’t try to do it alone! Here is advice on how to find allies and build your team.
- How to organize and mobilize to make change happen
- How to make friends with your nutrition services director
- How to be an advocate
- Advocacy 101: Five rookie mistakes and how to avoid them
- Principles from a former principal
- How to talk to your school board
- What to do when you win (or lose)
Working with the Media
The media can be your friend, spreading the news about your projects and helping you recruit new allies. Learn how to be media friendly.
Recomendations on how to successfully complete specific projects
- How to do a successful pilot
- How to fund raise for your school without selling food
- How to know if your school can do what another school is doing
- Banning sodas in your school: a short organizing guide
- Where do we start? How to tackle school meals 101
- How to help your school meal program find more money
- Can California public schools design their own school meal program?